Monday 30 January 2012

Linch Hill roach fishing - the cray twins pay a visit


Wednesday the 25th to Thursday the 26th of January

When I opened the front door to load the van at 4.30am it felt more like March than January, not much over a week ago I'd been greated by a frozen van followed by two nights of minus five. What a strange bag of weather we've had for the last fourteen months or so, winter 2010 came in like a ton of bricks before the end of November and gave us tempertures lower than we had experienced for decades for weeks on end, spring was early and more like summer at times, summer was incredibly dry and this winter so far has probably only chucked up ten days of frost. That little lot has had a massive effect on this years fishing, lakes froze solid for long periods for the first time in years, rivers ran so low that you could see river bed that had probably never been seen before and I'm trying to fish a single maggot in a lake full of fresh weed in January, good eh!

I was back on the banks of Willow just as the first sign of light broke on the horizon, as is quite normal for me the gremlins had been at work and my barrow tyre was flat as a pancake when I came to put it in the van the night before meaning a trip to my dad's to fetch a footpump, I feared the worst but it still seemed ok and thank god had held up on the long walk up the track. I fancied trying the swim that I had seen the grebes and cormorant working during my last visit and as there was no one else on the lake thats where I went, I'd already had a cast around with the marker at the end of my last session and so I knew I was in for a treat for once as there was considerably less weed than any of the other spots I'd fished so far. I was also fortunate in that someone had dragged out the substantial bank of marginal weed that was present a week before and that had prompted me to bring along my throwing rake, most kind! Getting the rods marked and clipped up didn't take long and I was fishing not long after 8am, this time I'd got the double hook rigs on, a bit of a pre-emptive strike job as I had the swim in mind all week and knew how clear it was, in most of the other areas I'd felt it was too much of a risk having a second hook trailing behind a hooked fish with the amount of weed about.

I was recasting the feeders every half an hour for a start and it had got to mid morning with nothing showing except a fox on the far bank and dozens of diving birds as usual, somehow a coot splash makes me get up to have a look every time. The right hand rod had bleeped once but there was no other indication of anything happening until I wound that rod in ten minutes later to find a signal cray hanging on, oh joy oh joy, my favourite, alien critters from a far away land, I hate them with a vengeance. I was very fortunate in being able to fish the syndicate stretch of the Claydon Brook for a day with my mate Steve last year, imagine the build up to that trip, years of seeing all of those monster perch pictures and reading about the place had got us raring to go. We walked down the fields looking at all of the lovely looking spots not knowing where to start but I decided on a swim and cast in, within minutes the crays were on me and they followed me all day and drove me insane, horrendous things. Back to the current session and after catching the first one they pestered me for the rest of the day and worst of all gave very little indication bar the odd tiny movement of the bobbins, the first I knew about it was winding one in or finding the maggots missing and rig mangled. What a nightmare, I finally fish a nice clear swim and it was riddled with crayfish and I wasn't sure wether or not to move, even if I could keep a bait in the water how would roach react to a cray sitting over the bait, I can't see them liking that. I decided to persevere and see how it went the next morning and perhaps look at other areas of the swim, strangely no one else seems to have had any bother with them and in the last six days fishing neither had I, perhaps they were very localised. The carp also were certainly active and I was able to watch them feeding in the snaggy margin next to my swim throughout the day, it comes to something when you can find carp but not roach doesn't it!

The horror....
Thursday started with a good dose of rain from the early hours that turned the swim into a mud pit. On winding in the rods all of them had been stripped of their baits which wasn't much of a surprise, I decided to put them back to the same spots for a couple of casts and see if the crabs were still about, within an hour they were and I landed one on the left hand rod, then one on the right hand rod so I wound them all in and recast them shorter in the hope of being left alone. Unfortunately I was winding another one in within the hour, its hard to know what to do in that situation really and to understrand why I was suddenly getting bothered by them, its not like the water temperature could have suddenly shot up making them more active, besides I've had problems with them on rivers when its been really cold. Strangely that was the last bother I had and the rigs remained primed and ready for roach all until I had to leave in late afternoon, its a shame the roach didn't appreciate the fact but at least they had the opportunity if they changed their mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment